Mission Bush Pilot and Nurse

After spending three years in Guyana, South America, we have now moved to Bewani, 50 Km south of Vanimo, Papua New Guinea. We have started a new humanitarian aviation ministry here. In visiting with health officials and church people here, the need for an aviation program to reach into remote villages became very apparent. We are taking health workers and medicines/vaccines, into remote village airstrips and bringing out critically ill patients to the hospital. We also fly in educational materials for schools, as well as take in Bible workers. Toni is helping with the medical end of things, while Gary takes care of the flying part. We have several local lay missionaries we sponsor and we do ground transport for patients as well. We are volunteers here to serve our God and the unreached people of Papua New Guinea. We have a great need for more people to join in this effort.

Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Missionaries Again?

We were missionaries about 30 years ago in Bolivia, South America. We have each recently been impressed, that we need to do it again. We had planned on waiting until Charlie got out of college to do this, but we feel we need to do it now.

We became convinced that God wanted us to do some volunteer, self-supporting work in Venezuela in about February of this year. We came down here to visit the end of January. Gary was online looking and came across this project of Gospel Ministries. David Gates is the president of this organization. He e-mailed the project in Venezuela, and they responded right away. They told us we should come down and check it out. The ministry consists of flying people out of the jungle for medical care and also taking pastors and lay workers into the jungle villages to spread the Gospel. They are inaccessible except by canoe and foot. It takes some of these people several days or a week to hike out of the jungles.

Gary was already a pilot--he had a plane at PUC our freshman year, but had to sell it to pay for his school bills. He had gotten his license current more than a year and was flying some. We bought a small plane and he started flying in earnest.

We quit our jobs, then sold our house in August. It was only on the market for 1 week and we had 2 offers. Gary got his instrument certification, and finished his commercial license--except the final flying test--he did the written one. He had trouble getting the test scheduled because of illness, plane in the shop, or unavailable instructor.

We are now packing up the house and getting rid of a lot of stuff. We are saving a few things in a 20 foot container, so we'll have something to start with, when we come back to the US.

No comments: