Mission Bush Pilot and Nurse

After spending three years in Guyana, South America, we have now moved to Bewani, 50 Km south of Vanimo, Papua New Guinea. We have started a new humanitarian aviation ministry here. In visiting with health officials and church people here, the need for an aviation program to reach into remote villages became very apparent. We are taking health workers and medicines/vaccines, into remote village airstrips and bringing out critically ill patients to the hospital. We also fly in educational materials for schools, as well as take in Bible workers. Toni is helping with the medical end of things, while Gary takes care of the flying part. We have several local lay missionaries we sponsor and we do ground transport for patients as well. We are volunteers here to serve our God and the unreached people of Papua New Guinea. We have a great need for more people to join in this effort.

Sunday, April 9, 2017

children's mission story

Children's Mission Story


Gary and Toni Lewis are volunteer missionaries working in the country of Papua New Guinea.  It is located near the country of Australia, on the other side of the world from America.  We live out in the jungle where there is no electricity, or running water. Gary is a pilot who flies a small airplane over the jungle to remote villages and Toni is a nurse who helps the sick.

This story took place in 2016.

One day, we received a call on the special radio that we have for talking to the clinics in the jungle.  One little clinic way out in the jungle (bush) called and said that they had a very sick man that needed to be flown to the haus sik (hospital) or he would soon die.  We had several bigpla (big) boxes of medicines waiting to be flown out, as well.  So Gary loaded the balus (plane) up full with boxes of medicines, syringes, pills, bandages, etc. to take out not only to that village clinic, but to another one nearby, as well.  Toni also gave him a box of Bible School lessons and a picture roll to take along.   After putting fuel in the plane from a big 55 gallon drum, and checking the airplane out, Gary was ready for take off.  The plane sleeps in a hanger with a fence around it at night to keep it safe.  So he opened the big gate and started up the engine.  The airplane was happy to go flying again. 

After Gary had checked to make sure everything was working properly, and the engine was warmed up, and radio contact had been made with the tower, about 250 miles away, he pushed the throttle all the way forward and the propeller and engine started going really fast!  The plane began to move down the grass runway going faster and faster!  When it was going about 60 miles per hour, Gary pulled gently back on the yoke and the airplane started to climb up into the air and was flying up higher and higher.  It circled over the airbase and then was climbing up really high so it could get over the mountains that were between the airbase and Amanab, the village we were going to.  After a few minutes, we were up so high that we were flying between the clouds and could see over the mountain.  Once we passed the mountain, we started to go down, down in the sky to the village where the sick man was.  As the airplane approached the village, many people and lots of kids (many of the kids had no clothes on), came out to watch the mission plane land on their airstrip.  After a nice landing, the airplane stopped at the end of the grass airstrip, Gary shut the engine off, and people began to crowd very close to the plane.  First Gary unloaded the boxes of medicines that the clinic was very happy to get, since they were out of many things.  Then patient, Sam, was carried to the airplane.  The villagers had two long pieces of bamboo with vines tied between them to make a stretcher for the patient.  Sam didn't look very good and there was a bag of medicine with a tube attached to his arm to give him fluids and medicine very fast.  We carefully lifted him into the airplane.  There was a missionary there, so Gary gave him the Bible lessons for the kids and the picture roll and was he ever so happy!  He said it had been a long, long time since they had had something like this for the kids.

As the airplane was getting ready to take off to fly to the hospital, Gary looked over to the side of that airstrip to make sure everyone was out of the way, and guess what he saw?  There was about a dozen men standing there with spears, and bows and arrows!  They were not smiling, just staring at the plane.  Gary was hoping they didn't want to put those spears or arrows into the side of the airplane as that would not make it fly very good.  He quickly pushed the throttle forward, and the plane was soon flying again.  As we flew over the airstrip, everyone was waving at the big bird and "white man" that was taking the sick man to the hospital. 

When we arrived in town, an ambulance pulled up to the mission plane and the sick man was loaded into it for the last part of his trip to the hospital.  Then Gary and the airplane flew back to our airbase in Bewani to rest awhile, after covering many miles of jungle to deliver the medicines and take the sick man to the hospital.

 God sends His angels to fly with us so that we are safe, and we can help people who don't have any other way to get help.  God's little plane and his pilot with his wife the nurse, have helped lots of people and are also taking missionaries to remote areas to tell people about Jesus and that He is coming back very soon, too. We need more people to come be missionaries.

 Thank you for praying for us.


Gary and Toni Lewis


Donations can be sent to:

Mission Projects Inc.

P.O. Box 504

College Place WA 99324

Please include a note: PNG project

Or go to www.Missionprojectsinc.org for cc or online donations


No comments: