Mission Bush Pilot and Nurse

After spending three years in Guyana, South America, we have now moved to Bewani, 50 Km south of Vanimo, Papua New Guinea. We have started a new humanitarian aviation ministry here. In visiting with health officials and church people here, the need for an aviation program to reach into remote villages became very apparent. We are taking health workers and medicines/vaccines, into remote village airstrips and bringing out critically ill patients to the hospital. We also fly in educational materials for schools, as well as take in Bible workers. Toni is helping with the medical end of things, while Gary takes care of the flying part. We have several local lay missionaries we sponsor and we do ground transport for patients as well. We are volunteers here to serve our God and the unreached people of Papua New Guinea. We have a great need for more people to join in this effort.

Monday, August 14, 2017

Another life saved! July 17, 2017

We have been back here at our base for just over a week after our nice trip to the US.

We really enjoyed our trip home and seeing so many of you.  The time went by too fast and there was too much to do, but we are happy to have spent some time with family and friends.

We are quickly loosing our "furlough fat"--I have lost 5 lbs already!  Our dog and base were well taken care of during our absence. Upon our return, Civil Aviation informed us that it has been too long since the engine and propeller on our plane have been overhauled, so now we have to send the prop to Australia to have it rebuilt and order a new rebuilt engine from the US for our plane.  Those two things will cost more than we paid for the plane when we purchased it!  The engine is quoted at $32,000.00 plus shipping, etc.  So it will be a few months yet before we can begin flight operations again.  It is still God's plane and His project, so we know He will provide in His time and way.  The more we see God at work here, the more we see the evil one working to stop it.

This afternoon, Sunday, they came to our house requesting a medevac.  In a village a half hour's drive from here, a young lady had a retained placenta and heavy bleeding.  There was no one to transport her.  We went and due to a very muddy road we had to park about three-quarters of a mile from her location, our four-wheel drive was not working because a U joint needs replacement.  We rigged up a stretcher with a makeshift ladder and some planks to carry her.  It was a very long carry in the heat and mud.  None of the men in the village would help carry since she was not their wife and it is taboo for them to do so.  So the male medic, Toni, another lady and myself struggled to get her to the car.  She is now at the hospital in town getting help and we are home and very tired. 

I have been meeting with our lay missionaries this week, Esther has several at her village who are ready for baptism, David, a new lay missionary has 4 who want to study to be baptized and church building is progressing. So we are thankful for the work that has gone on while we were away.

Thank you for your prayers and continued support for the project here in PNG. It really means a lot to us and also to the people here.

July 19, as we were on our way to town, we saw a man waving us down, he had blood all over his face and chest.  He wanted a ride to the hospital after he was in a fight and got all cut up.  It is still the land of the unexpected.

No comments: